Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ferals need love too.

Whenever I go on to Craigslist I get pretty darn angry when I click on pets and I see things like:  Moving, cannot take family pet, or "we just got this kitten and our child is allergic".  Seriously?  I would not move into a place where Sookie could not live also, she is not optional, she is a member of my family so far as I am concerned, where I go she goes, period.  Now those of you who do not have pets, you might think this is odd or weird or extreme but trust me, it's really not.  As far as finding out AFTER you got a pet that your child is allergic, sorry sell it to someone else, because I am not buying it.  Are you seriously trying to tell me that your child has never been exposed to any ones animals, ever?  Now I'm no genius but how about this, before buying FeFe or Fido take your child to a friends home or whatever and if they get hives or sneeze DON'T buy that doggy in the window, please spare us a rescue!

As far as people saying it is to expensive to have their pet spay or neutered, spare me, call any animal shelter or SPCA and they will tell you where you can get it done for free or at most for $10.00, however if you think you cannot afford even that STEP away from the box full of adorable kittens, you cannot AFFORD it!  I spent more on Sookie last year than some did on their grand kids, trust and believe these furry family members are not and should not be cheap to maintain.

Since Sookie is a Feral I have a soft spot for them, and think they are an often forgot about demographic, unless someone is calling animal control because they have a feral colony set up in an abandoned house, but think on this, the only difference between Ferals and your beloved Persian FeFe is love and a litter box.  Sookie has more personality because she is a feral, also she is far more alert than any dog, and since I live alone in an apartment this has come in handy, I always know when someone is going to knock on my door by her reaction.  Also, Sookie alerts me within seconds of any creepy crawlies in the house by stalking it as prey.  Sookie plays fetch, I didn't train her or anything, she just came up with this game all on her own.  I know I will NEVER have mice either, and since I live by a field this can be an issue. So the next time someone says "I'm thinking of adopting a cat or worse, buying one", please ask them to look around on-line for the nearest Feral rescue, they won't be sorry.http://www.feralcatrescuemd.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment